Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Working with Line charts.
When to use
Line charts are useful for showing trends over time.
Creating a Line chart
- Select your data
- Go to Insert --> Charts --> select the first Line Chart
Enhancing the Chart context
- Reformat your source data number format and it will carry through to the chart
- To link a title to a cell, select the chart title, press the equals key, click on a cell and press Enter
Adding markers for easy reading
- Right click a series --> Format Data Series
- Click the bucket icon in the taskbar --> Marker --> Marker options
- Select Built-in and choose your preferred marker style
Removing whitespace when plotting dates
- Right click the date axis --> Format axis
- Set Axis Position --> On tick marks
Changing the display order of the lines
- Open the Chart Tools --> Design --> Select Data dialog
- Lines are drawn on the chart in the order shown in the dialog, with new lines drawn over the existing ones
- To change the order, select your series and click the Move Down (or Move Up) icon
Hints & tips
Right clicking any data series will allow you to add Trend Lines to the chart
Data labels can also be added, but are difficult to read on multi-series line charts
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.