Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Highly visible and engaging, these devices can provide your users with a method to easily select valid object or filter in to just their slice of the pie
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Filtering and linking Dashboards using Slicers.xlsx
50.6 KB Filtering and linking Dashboards using Slicers - Completed.xlsx
Filtering and Linking Dashboards Using Slicers
Interactive filtering of Pivot Tables using Slicers.
When to use
Slicers are useful for giving a user friendly way to cross filter and drill into Pivot Table based dashboards.
Groundwork: Friendly names for your Pivot Tables
- Select your PivotTable and go to PivotTable Tools --> Analyze
- On the far left side, provide a more friendly name than PivotTable1
- We suggest a short but descriptive name to separate Pivot Tables from ranges and charts
- Each PivotTable should be provided its own descriptive name
- Click any cell in a Pivot Table and go to PivotTable Tools --> Analyze --> Insert Slicer
- Choose the field you want to use for filtering
Working with Slicers
- Selecting any button will filter the PivotTable to only record those that include that data point
- Hold down SHIFT or left click and drag to select multiple contiguous items
- Hold down CTRL to select multiple non-contiguous items
- Click the clear button (with the red x) to clear all filters from the slicer
- All formatting is done by selecting the slicer and going to Slicer Tools
- Options include setting slicer styles, and increasing the number of columns
Linking to multiple pivots
- Select the slicer and go to Slicer Tools --> Report Connections
- Link to the other Pivot Tables you wish to cross filter
- As you select any item in the slicer, it will automatically slice all Pivots
Hints & tips
- Slicers are a fantastic way to give users a friendly interface for slicing and dicing
- Giving your PivotTables descriptive names makes it much easier to select the correct Pivot Table when linking
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.