Using Pivot Charts
Creating charts based on Pivot Tables.
When to use
When you wish to use a chart bound to Pivot Table based data.
Creating a PivotChart
- Select a cell inside your PivotTable --> PivotTable Tools --> Analyze --> PivotChart
- Choose a chart type to start with
- Modify your PivotTable to perfect the display
- Can be done via the built-in filter icons
- Can also be done via slicers hooked to the PivotTables
Removing the chart filter buttons
- Select the PivotChart -->PivotChart Tools --> Analyze --> Field Buttons --> Hide All
- Every PivotChart is based on a PivotTable
- Modifying the PivotChart modifies the underlying PivotTable
- PivotTables don’t play well with combination charts (one chart type takes over on slicing)
Hints & tips
- Unfortunately, not all charts have a Pivot Chart version. If you want to use a non-supported type of chart, you’ll need to land data to a table and base the chart off that instead
- Before linking a slicer to a Pivot Chart, remember to name the underlying Pivot Table
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.