About this lesson
Sometimes showing the chart just isn't enough and you want to display a text message with an indicator on the chart canvas. This lesson explores how to make that happen
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Displaying indicators on charts.xlsx
74.5 KB Displaying indicators on charts - Completed.xlsx
Displaying Indicators On Charts
How to show indicators on or behind a chart.
When to use
Sometimes you need to add an overall trend indicator or a special message to a chart. These techniques can be used to make that happen.
Showing a message on the chart
- Craft your message in a cell using formulas
- Add a Text box to the worksheet with the chart
- Select the Text box, click in the formula bar, and then select the cell with your message
- Format the text box to remove borders (and the background fill) if necessary
- Position the text box where you need it
Showing items behind the chart
- Move the chart out of the way temporarily
- Set up the message, formulas or conditional formats as required
- Move the chart back to cover up the information
- Right click the chart and set the background to “No Fill”
- You may also need to right click the Plot Area and set it to “No Fill” as well
Hints & tips
- When showing an indicator behind a chart, it’s useful to hide the worksheet gridlines. You can do this via View à Gridlines.
- Combine this technique with inserting symbols or Emojis to really add some pizazz to your chart!
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.