Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Understanding how to use and read With blocks in VBA code.
When to use
To simplify your code so it is easier to read and write, as well as more efficient to run.
- Allows you to shorten code so that the object name only needs to be included once
- Allows you to save on typing as lines can be started with a single period, referring to the With block parent
- Helps code become a tiny bit faster as it doesn't have to navigate the full object model chain
With block structure:
.Property1 = x
.Property2 = y
.Property3.Property1A = z
Hints & tips
- Indent all the lines of code in the With statement, to make it clear that they are part of the same With statement
- With statements can be nested inside each other.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.