About this lesson
Go over the elements that should be incorporated into a workbook.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson.
Understand how to structure a workbook.
When to use
When building a financial model, developers need to ensure that the workbook is structured in a logical manner so that users may follow it easily.
- Ensure the groundwork is complete before starting the new workbook build – map out how the model should be structured
- Don’t use an old model to build the new one. Always create a new one bearing in mind the end users
- Use different worksheets for a particular purpose (i.e. Revenue) which are short and succinct – this will make it easier for users to find information
- Where possible, keep it simple:
- Comprehension, named cells, arrays, “megaformulae”
- All data entry should only occur once and be clearly defined
- No hard coded data in formulae
- Input conventions should be consistent
- Model should “read” from left-to-right, front-to-back
- Treatment of repeatable sections
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.