Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Layout Tips Part 3
Layout tips explained using the CRaFT methodology
When to use
Layout tips can assist in building a financial model in excel which is easy to understand and navigate through.
Layout of Headings
- Headings should start in column B, not A, and then move out a column or two for sub headings and sub sub headings respectively. Data labels can be put directly beneath sub sub headings:
- Enter the main heading in a cell i.e. B10
- Leave a row and enter a sub heading in C12
- Leave a row and enter a sub heading in D14
- Enter your data labels consistently i.e. in Column D
- The narrowing of the columns effectively indents the headings and makes worksheets easier to read and navigate (especially if the gridlines, ALT + W + VG, are toggled off).
- Take special note of the spacing: one blank row between headings; two lines between sections. It isn’t necessary to be identical to what is being suggested but be consistent.
- Blank columns H and I are in existence in case of any calculations, inputs or referred values that do not refer to a particular time period.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.