Range Names Part 2
Discover how to use a range names in a formula.
When to use
A range name is used to replace a cell reference with text. In spreadsheets, used appropriately and sparingly, great value can be obtained from using range names, as it can make formulae easier to read.
- Cell reference replaced by text
- Formulae, Names
- Name Box
- Inability to delete
- multiple names
Use of Range Names in a Formula
- Add a range name to cell D2 (see previous lesson for notes on how to add a range name) i.e. Tax Rate
- Enter the tax rate into that cell i.e. 30%.
- Enter a formula into cell E7 which incorporates the Tax Rate name (=NPAT x TaxRate) and copy this formulae across
- The formula will use the 30% rate that you have entered into the named cell (D2)
- As you can see below if another user clicks on one of the taxation cells they are able to easily read the formulae
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.