Number Formatting Part 3
Number Formatting explained using the CRaFT methodology.
When to use
Number Formatting can assist in building a financial model in Excel which is easy to understand and navigate through.
- The first section, [Blue] _(#,##0_),specifies the formatting for positive numbers. In this case, positive numbers will be formatted blue.
- The underscore and open bracket, _(, is not necessary, strictly speaking, but ensures there is space made for an open bracket, even though there is no such character shown.
- #,##0, ensures positive numbers contain thousand separators (where needed).
- Finally, the _) requires Excel to maintain enough space at the right end of a cell for a digit (not necessarily zero and a close bracket). It should be noted that a separate underscore is required for each character that is to be allowed for.
- The second section, [Red](#,##0), specifies the formatting for negative numbers. It is similar to the first section, but colors the number red, and encloses it in brackets.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.