About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Working With Data Types.docx
Working With Data Types
Each Column has to have a name and a Data Type.
When to use
Whenever you build a database table, you need to work with Data Types.
Data Types let the database know what type of data will appear in the column.
Each type of database has it's own data types. So you should always look them up before designing your database.
There are many different types of data and every database handles data slightly differently. Anytime you design a database, you will need to look up the data types for that particular server.
Some of the data types we will use in this course are:
- int - a number without decimals
- varchar - variable length character strings
- text - variable length character strings, but not a recommended data type as it has limitations when searching and indexing
Hints & tips
- All columns need a name and a data type
- The most common are Varchar and Int
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.