About this lesson
Send individual, personalized emails to multiple people with one easy process.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Email Merge, Personalized.docx
E-Mail Merge, Personalized
Send individual, oersonalized (but duplicate) emails to multiple people with one easy process.
When to use
Outlook email merge will personalize individual emails, but allow you to send to an entire list. Market research shows that an email is 80% more likely to be opened when it contains the recipient’s name in the first line.
- Start with Outlook.
- Click Contacts, and select the folder with the contacts to use in the email merge.
- On the Home ribbon, click Mail Merge.
- At the bottom of this box, change Merge to: E-mail and enter a subject line.
Note: you will have a chance later to change or modify the subject line
- If your list contains contact groups, the process will warn you that those will not be included in the merge. Click OK.
- MS Word will open in the background, type your email message, personalize the fields, and/or Insert a .jpg photo of a pre-made flyer.
Personalize the email message
- Click into the greeting line of the message, i.e.: Hello ____________
- On the Mailings ribbon, click Insert Merge Field.
- Locate and select the field First Name.
- The greeting line will look like this:
- The grey area is the field code and the chevrons (arrows) on the sides should not be deleted or the code will break.
- Take a moment to preview the emails.
- Click Finish & Merge on the Mailings ribbon, and then Send Email Messages.
- You have one last chance to change the Subject line and/or cancel the process.
- Click OK and the emails will immediately send out.
Tip: Should all go wrong and emails are flying out to the wrong list (Yes, this happens because humans sometimes choose the wrong lists!), close Outlook asap, switch off your wireless on your laptop, or pull the Ethernet cord from your computer!
 www.GoSkills.com, Email Merge, Full Color Flyers, Lesson 7.03
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.