About this lesson
Learn how to use the mail merge feature to personalize every single publication to the individual recipient.
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Creative Ideas - Mail Merge.pub
Creative Ideas - Mail Merge
A Mail Merge simply uses one document (flyer, letter, or email) and retrieves individual mailing addresses from a database (typed for the project or an Outlook contact list).
When to use
Send individual, Full-Color flyers, postcards, or emails to multiple people with one easy process.
- Start with the Business PostCard publication template found under File, New, or open the corresponding Exercise file with this video lesson.
Note: If you’d like to learn how to do an Outlook “email merge” using this similar flyer, go to https://www.goskills.com/Course/Outlook “Email Merge, Full Color Flyers”
- Click the Mailings ribbon, Mail Merge, and select “Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard”
Click Contacts, and select the folder with the contacts to use in the Email Merge.
- On the right panel, a task pane opens and you can select any of the 3 list options; for this lesson we select “Type a New List” and click the Create link at the bottom
- Enter the basic list information into the database window and click OK when finished:
- Then Save the database list to your file system. Note: the finished database opens on your screen. If you want to edit (fix or add more) address, you must click the name of the list and then click the Edit button.
- On the Mail Merge panel, you will select which fields to enter onto the postcard. If this is a mailer, the easiest selection is the “Address Block”:
Position the Address Block and re-size it so the street addresses will not wrap within the box. Be careful not to delete the arrows on either side of the field or the mail merge will not work.
- Click “Create merged publications” and select “Merge to a new publication”
This allows you a chance to review the addresses and make any list minute changes before printing the entire mailing.
- The final postcard file should have all the merged addresses:
- Save the file and print.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.