Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Learn how to use the mail merge feature to personalize every single publication to the individual recipient.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Creative Ideas - Mail Merge.pub
297 KB Creative Ideas - Mail Merge - Solution.pub
Creative Ideas - Email Merge
An Email Merge simply uses one document (flyer, letter, or email) and retrieves individual email addresses from a database (typed for the project or an Outlook contact list).
When to use
Send individual, Full-Color flyers, postcards, or emails to multiple people with one easy process.
- Start with the Business PostCard publication template found under File, New, or open the corresponding Exercise file with this video lesson.
Note: If you’d like to learn how to do an Outlook Email Merge using this similar flyer, go to https://www.goskills.com/Course/Outlook “Email Merge, Full Color Flyers”.
- Click the Mailings ribbon, Mail Merge, and select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.
- Click Contacts, and select the folder with the contacts to use in the Email Merge.
- On the right panel, a task pane opens, and you can select any of the 3 list options; for this lesson we select Type a New List and click the Create link at the bottom.
- Choose the prepared email contact list from the Outlook choices.
- If typing your own list, then Save the database list to your file system.
Note: the finished database opens on your screen. If you want to edit (fix or add more) address, you must click the name of the list and then click the Edit button.
- Or enter the basic list information into the database window and click OK when finished.
- On the Email Merge panel, you will select which fields to enter onto the postcard.
If this is a mailer, the easiest selection is the Address Block:
Be careful not to delete the chevrons (arrows) on either side of the field or the mail merge will not work.
If this is a mailer, position the Address Block and re-size it so the street addresses will not wrap within the box.
- Click Create merged publications and select Send Email.
This allows you a chance to review the addresses, type a Subject line with the first name field and make any list minute changes before emailing the entire list.
- The final step is to open Outlook and make sure the emails are sending out!
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.