Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Cards are super useful in order to drive alerts. They also have a close cousin called the multi-row card. In this module we will explore both, as well as their pros and cons.
Working with Cards and Multi-row Cards in Power BI.
When to use
Cards and multi-row cards are useful for showing summary statistics. Single point cards are also especially useful, as they can be used to set alerts in the Power BI service, where multi-row cards cannot.
- Select the card (or multi-row card) visual
- Drag a measure into the Fields area in the Visualizations pane
- Be aware the Cards can only have one field where multi-row cards can have many fields
Advantages of Cards over Multi-Row cards
- You can change the name displayed on a card (multi-row inherit the raw measure name only)
- Multi-row card have very limited formatting options (no alignment, all measures must be same color, etc..)
Changing name displayed on a card
- Turn off the Category Label
- Turn on the Title and name the card appropriately
- Format as desired
Hints & tips
Tricks for formatting and aligning cards
- Format the card text size under the Data Label group
- Format the card titles under the Title group
- Turn on gridlines (View -> Gridlines) for easier alignment
- Align multiple cards by holding down the CTRL key (Shift does not work) then go to Visual Tools -> Format -> Align
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.