Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
When the default visuals are not inspiring, or you just need to use a visual that Microsoft doesn’t supply by default, you can often find another version in the Custom Visual store. In this module we will look at the Chiclet Slicer, a vast improvement over Power BI's native Slicer visual.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files. You can download the source data files for the course from the resources section of your Lessons page.Custom Visuals - Chiclet Slicer.pbix
449.5 KB Custom Visuals - Chiclet Slicer - Completed.pbix
Custom Visuals - Chiclet Slicer
Working with custom visuals in Power BI.
When to use
When the default visuals are not inspiring, or you just need to use a visual that Microsoft doesn’t supply by default, you can often find another version in the Custom Visual store.
Locating Custom Visuals
- Go to Home -> Custom Visuals -> From Store
- Enter a search term and hit enter
- Choose Add to add a custom visual into your project
A better slicer – the Chiclet slicer
- Search for Chiclet Slicer in the store and install it
- Add the field you wish to slice by the visuals Category field
- Note that multi select is accomplished by holding down the CTRL key
- Options for configuring the slicer can be found under the paintbrush icon
Adding images to the Chiclet Slicer
In order to use images in the Chiclet Slicer, they must live on the web. In addition, you must have the URL in the data table in Power BI. Once you do:
- Go to the Data view and select the table that holds the image URLs
- Select the column -> Modeling -> Data Category -> Image URL
- Return to the visual
- Drag the field with the image URLs into the Image field
- Add a numeric field into the Values area
Hints & tips
- There are many other custom visuals in the gallery including other slicers and charts.
- Like any slicer, the chiclet slicer filters stick and add to the filter context in addition to any selection in another visual.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.