About this lesson
It's now time to apply our knowledge of basic formulas, and build measures that add business intelligence value to our sample model.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files. You can download the source data files from the top of your Lessons page.Basic Measures – Application.pbix
418.7 KB Basic Measures – Application - Completed.pbix
Basic Measures – Application
Creating measures for our sample model.
When to use
You want to practice creating basic measure patterns.
Creating basic measures:
- Right click the table you want to hold the measure -> Add measure
- Enter the formula for the measure
- Set the default formatting options
- Budgets $ = SUM(Budgets[Amount]
- Sales $ = SUM(Sales[Amount])
- Sales (Units) = COUNT(Sales[Units])
- Last Sale = LASTDATE(Calendar[Date])
- Replace all numeric columns in the visual with the appropriate measure
Last Sale is not correct, it’s giving the last date in the calendar, not the last sale
- Select the measure
- Change the formula to LASTDATE(Sales[Date])
- Change the Home table to Sales
Units should be a sum, not a count
- Select the measure and change the formula to =SUM(Sales[Units])
Hints & tips
- By right clicking the table in the fields list and choosing Add Measure, the measure is automatically added to the correct table
- Updating a formula in the measure updates all visuals immediately
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.