About this lesson
It's all about the refresh - something that will be problematic if you can't change the source data's file paths. Here we will explore how to do this, as well as show you how to keep your Power Queries organized.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Managing Power Queries.xlsx
501.4 KB Managing Power Queries - Completed.xlsx
Managing Power Queries
An overview of updating a query.
When to use
When you need to update an existing query in the Power Query Editor.
The general process is:
- Display the Queries Pane in Excel
- Excel 2010/2013: Go to the Power Query tab --> Show Pane
- Excel 2016: Go to the Data tab --> Show Queries
- Excel Subscription: Go to the Data tab --> Queries & Connections
When the Query Editor opens
- Select the step to edit from the Applied Steps list on the right
- Click on the gear icon next to the selected step (if available)
- Update the query as needed and select OK
- Click the Close & Load button
Hints & tips
- When you create a Power Query, the file path is always hard-coded to the computer used to build the query
- You can create groups for organizing your queries in either Excel or in the Query Editor
- Drag and drop functionality is only available in the Query Editor
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.