Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
An introduction into using Power Query technology to get data for an Excel business intelligence solution.
Getting Basic Data
Importing data from a file into Power Query
When to use
When you need to bring data from a basic source, such as an Excel worksheet or table, text file, or CSV file, into a new query.
Where do you create a new query?
- In Excel 2016, go to the Data tab and either Get Data or New Query
- In Excel 2010 or 2013, go to the Power Query tab
- In Power BI, go to the Home tab and select Get Data
To get data
- Select what file type or data source you wish to connect to
- Browse for the file or enter the credentials to locate the database
- Login to the data source if necessary
- Once the data preview loads, select Edit to open the Power Query editor
- Within the Power Query editor you will be able to leverage the rich array of commands
When your transformations are complete
- Set the data types for each column
- Name your query appropriately
- Go to the Home tab and choose
- Close & Load (to load the data to an Excel table)
- Close & Load To… (to choose more advanced options)
Hints & tips
- It is best practice to set the data types for each column before loading the query into Excel or Power BI
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.