About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Overview of the Tools.docx
Overview of the Tools
Once setting up a document we will take a look at the basic tools that you will want to know about and how to navigate the toolbar interface.
When to use
The tools are used constantly when working in Adobe Illustrator. Learning which tools to use for the job and where to find them will become second nature to you as you spend more time in the program. As you begin to learn some of the shortcuts for the tools you will also be able to speed up your workflow.
- Launch Adobe Illustrator
- Choose ‘New…’ from the Start Workspace
- In your New Document experiment with the one and two column toolbar view, along with docking and undocking it from the panel.
- Click and hold on a few of the different tools to see what other options are available for things like the Pen Tool and the Eraser Tool.
Hints & tips
- If you want to quickly access the Selection Tool press 'V' on the keyboard. This is the main selection tool in Illustrator and is a good shortcut to learn right from the start.
- Many of the tools have keyboard shortcuts. If you want to quickly view a list of all of the shortcuts or to create a new shortcut, go to the Edit menu and choose 'Keyboard Shortcuts.' From here you can toggle between the shortcuts for tools as well as the shortcuts for different menu options.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.