About this lesson
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Layers on Layers on Layers - Instructions.docx
200.9 KB Layers on Layers on Layers - Exercise.ai
1.5 MB Layers on Layers on Layers - Exercise Solution.ai
Layers on Layers on Layers
Learn about working with layers - how to create them, stack and reorder them, hide them, and delete them.
When to use
Any time you are building a design or composition that you want to have more depth to it, you will want to take advantage of the ability to use layers.
- Begin by opening the 'Layers on Layers on Layers - Exercise.ai' file.
- Double click each of the layers to rename them 'FIRST LAYER' and 'SECOND LAYER' as shown in the video.
- Place one of the shapes on top of the other and notice how one shape will be hidden.
- Click on the small triangle in the upper right corner of the layer name inside the Layers Panel to select which ever shape is on the bottom.
- Hold down the Shift Key and tap the right arrow a few times to move the bottom shape out from behind the shape that is on top.
- Drag the second layer into the first layer.
- Click on the small arrow just to the left of the layer name and icon to expand the contents of the layer.
- Notice that your second layer is now nested inside of the first layer.
Hints & tips
- Anytime you have multiple layers in a document it can be helpful to toggle the visibility of certain layers on or off by clicking on the small eye icon to the left of the layer name.
- If you want to prevent making changes to any of your layers you can also lock them by clicking in between the eye icon and the layer name to lock the layer. You will know that the layer is locked when you see a small icon that looks like a lock next to the layer.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.