Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Drawing with the Pencil Tool - Instructions.docx
Drawing with the Pencil Tool
How to draw with the Pencil Tool and use the Smooth Tool to smooth out jagged lines.
When to use
The Pencil Tool can be very handy especially when using a graphics tablet as it allows you to create and draw freely.
- Create a new, blank document in Illustrator.
- Press 'N' on the keyboard or grab the Pencil Tool from the toolbar to the left.
- Begin to use your mouse to scribble and create some lines with the Pencil Tool.
- If your lines are appearing jagged, double click on the Pencil Tool and crank up the Fidelity option so that it's all the way to the right and set to the 'Smooth' option.
- If you are drawing with the pencil and need to fix a section, you can simply draw over it again to correct it.
- If you click and hold on the Pencil Tool you can also select the Smooth Tool which can be used to smooth out corners and edges.
- Once you create a line or lines with the Pencil Tool, any preset or custom brushes can be applied to it.
- Experiment with the Stroke Panel once you've created some lines to see how different line weights look.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.