How to change the width or thickness of a line.
When to use
Anytime you want to add some variety to your lines or to text you can use the width tool to vary the thickness of a part of a path or the entire path.
- Begin by opening the Different Strokes - Exercise.ai file from the exercises.
- In the file you will see several spirals that all share the same weight.
- Select the first spiral and increase the weight of the stroke to make it bolder.
- Now grab the Width Tool (Shift+W) and select one point along the path to make it wider.
- On the next spiral, select the whole path and then try to increase the width of the entire line as opposed to just one point.
- Experiment with some of the different line profiles available in the Stroke Panel as well as adding a round cap.
- See how many different variations of the same spiral you can create using these tools.
- You can change the width of a cap or an end point of a line just like you can change the line itself.
- The Width Tool (Shift+W) is exclusive to paths and lines.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.