About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Easy Erasing - Instructions.docx
Showing how you can erase shapes or parts of shapes.
When to use
Anytime you want to erase a mistake or remove a piece of an object in Illustrator.
- Begin by opening the exercise solution file containing the peppers from the 'Following the Path' lesson.
- Change the first pepper from a stroke to a solid black fill by first selecting the shape, then pressing Shift+X to swap the fill and stroke.
- Grab the Eraser Tool (Shift+E) from the toolbar.
- Draw into the pepper shape from the edge or from the center and notice how the shape smooths itself out, similar to what we saw happen when using the Pencil Tool.
- Now try the eraser on one of the peppers while keeping it an outline.
- You will notice that the outline also changes once you have erased a portion of the contour.
- You can change the size and shape of your eraser from the toolbar using the Eraser Tool Options.
- The Eraser Tool (Shift+E) can be used on shapes, outlined text, or any other object consisting of points in Illustrator.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.