Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Cut it Out - Instructions.docx
Cut it Out
Using the Scissor Tool and Knife Tool.
When to use
If you wanted to slice a shape or piece of outlined text to remove a section, the Knife Tool or Scissor Tool are the perfect choices for the job.
- Begin by opening the after exercise file containing the peppers from the 'Following the Path' lesson.
- Change the middle pepper from a stroke to a solid black fill by first selecting the shape, then pressing Shift+X to swap the fill and stroke.
- Click and hold on the Eraser Tool in the toolbar to reveal the Knife Tool and the Scissor Tool.
- Undock the panel and move it onto the artboard, closer to your peppers.
- Select the pepper with a solid black fill using the Selection Tool (V).
- Grab the Knife Tool and create one or several slices through the shape.
- Switch to your regular Selection Tool (V) or the Direct Selection Tool (A) and select one of the segments before moving it away from the others.
- Try the same thing on one of the outlined peppers.
- Grab your Scissor Tool and then select one of the peppers.
- Notice that you are unable to slice through any of the shapes with the scissors the same way you can with the knife.
- Click anywhere along the path of the pepper while the Scissor Tool is selected, and then click a second time a bit further away.
- Now switch to either selection tool and select a part of the path between the two points where you clicked.
- You can now move or delete that segment of the line.
- The eraser, knife, and scissors are all ways of removing a shape or segment of a shape, but they each work in very different ways.
- If you create slices into a shape with the Knife Tool you can then change the color of any of the pieces without affecting the others.
- If you wanted to just remove a section of a path, the Scissor Tool would be the best option because it will give you more precision than the Eraser Tool.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.