Show examples of how to distort shapes using the Bloat and Pinch Tools.
When to use
If you want to create organic shapes from the basic geometric shape tools found in Illustrator you can use these tools.
- Begin by opening the Distorting Shapes - Exercise.ai file
- In the exercise file you will notice that there are several plain, black circles.
- Click and hold on the Width Tool in the toolbar to reveal the distort tools that are available.
- You can dock or undock this panel to move it around freely just as you would with many of the other tools in Illustrator.
- Begin with the Warp Tool and click and drag on and around the first circle to see how it works.
- Repeat this with each of the other distort tools on a different circle to get a feel for each one and how they work.
- The Twirl Tool can be very useful for creating flourishes and ornate shapes in Illustrator, especially when combined with the Width Tool.
- These distortion tools can be used not only for shapes, but also on outlined text.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.