Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
How to use the Pathfinder Tool to manipulate shapes.
When to use
The Pathfinder is one of the most powerful tools in Illustrator for combining/merging or subtracting shapes from one another. It contains quite a few different options that can be used to create a wide variety of options for making new and interesting shapes.
- Begin by opening the The Pathfinder - Exercise.ai file
- In the document you will notice that there are 8 copies of two overlapping circles.
- Use your Selection Tool(V) to click and drag around the first set of circles on the top left.
- Next, go to the Window Menu and choose the 'Pathfinder' option from the list.
- With your first two circles still selected, click on the first option in the Pathfinder - Unite.
- Notice that now both of your circles are joined together into one shape.
- Grab the second set of overlapping circles and try the next option in the Pathfinder - Minus Front.
- Repeat this process by selecting a group of circles and applying one of the Pathfinder settings to see what each of them do and how they affect the shapes.
- Create some text and then convert it to outlines by selecting it and going to the Type Menu before choosing 'Create Outlines' from the list.
- Use your Pen Tool to draw a shape on top of your text so that it overlaps one of the letters.
- Grab your Selection Tool and click and drag around both the newly created shape and the outlined text.
- Try the Merge or Unite option found under the Pathfinder Panel to combine your outlined text with your shape.
- You can also experiment with some of the other options to see what kind of results it will produce.
- The Pathfinder Tool can be used to join together shapes, but it can also be used to unite outlined text that has a fill and an outline to create a heavier or more bold appearance and unifying it into one solid shape.
- You can also use the Pathfinder Tool to knock a shape out of another shape, or outlined text.
- You can add as few or as many shapes as you want before using the Pathfinder to merge or unite them together into one.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.