About this lesson
Add a special effect to text for the holidays, or the effect of snow to photos or illustrations. Can be used to make snowballs, snowmen and clouds.
There are no related exercise files for this lesson, or we cannot provide them due to copyright issues.
Customizing a brush tool to add layers of clumped snow to existing image.
When to use
Add a special effect to text for the holidays, or the effect of snow to photos or illustrations. Could be used to make snowballs, snowmen, and clouds.
Customising the Brush and creating the snow effect
- Grab the custom brush on the left. Open the brush panel from the window menu. Select brush tip shape and start with 40px size. Set hardness to 60% and spacing to 1%.
- In Shape dynamics section set size jitter to 100% and everything else off. In texture section find and select the clouds pattern and set scale to 200%, mode to Linear Burn and Jitter depth to 70%.
- Create a new layer and rough in large clumps of snow. Use Square bracket keys to decrease and increase brush size.
Changing the layer look and adding depth to the snow
- In the layer style add a drop shadow (opacity 30%, global light off and set angle to 90%, distance 2, size 3).
- Add an inner shadow (set colour to 3065c7, opacity 50%, global light off and set angle to 90%, distance 6, size 8)
- Add a Pattern Overlay (Select clouds pattern again and Linear burn, opacity 15%, scale 50%)
For extra tweaks play with the satin section.
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.