About this lesson
Let's learn the basic uses of VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP by building your own invoice template.
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Invoice template.xlsx
VLOOKUP & HLOOKUP Functions
Learn the basic uses of VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
When to use
These functions are useful to use a value in one dataset to find a similar value in another set and return a related value.
- VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP(lookup value, table array, column index number, [match])
- VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP(What, where, what to return, exact or approximate)
- [ ] means the argument is optional, remember the default is approximate
- The table array for VLOOKUP should be arranged in columns so that the search can take place in the left most column and the returned value to the right of that
- The table array for HLOOKUP should be arranged in rows so that the search can take place in the top row and the returned value from the column below
- Note the use of $$ to make copying the formula more effective
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.