Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Learn how to construct an effective cover letter for a resume.
When to use
When applying for a position at a new company.
Typical purposes for a cover letter:
- An opportunity to stand out
- Will be seen first and generate interest for the accompanying resume
- Additional space for highlights that may not fit on the resume
- More interesting and engaging than a resume which is dryer and more factual
- A chance to tailor the content for the job instead of following a stricter resume format
Formatting and Content
- Follow basic business writing rules and tone for letters, and standard business letter formatting for print or emails
- Don’t send a form letter – personalize if at all possible
- Don’t focus on your goals – turn the focus toward the company
- Don’t restate what’s on your resume – instead describe actions and positive results
- Do show an interest in the position and company
- Do state why you’d be a good and special choice for the job
- Do personalize with an understanding of the company needs or the role
- PROOFREAD and SPELLCHECK!
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.