Learn how to create a bio for business use.
When to use
When applying for a position at a new company that requires a bio, or when an employer requests one.
Typical purposes for a bio:
- Job application process
- Internal communications document
- Professional-to-professional communications for meetings or presentations
- Corporate materials or staff listings for customer-facing materials
Formatting and Content
- Start by asking about any required formats or suggestions for content from whomever is requesting the bio
- One long paragraph is a standard length, but consider creating a shorter bio as well as a longer more detailed version to keep on hand
- Write in the third person (as if you are speaking about someone else)
- Summarize your career in short order, beginning with current position, or most recent role if unemployed
- Focus on major business posts and highlight accomplishments
- Include something unique about yourself or a worthwhile perspective if there is room for it and/or if this is the style requested
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.