About this lesson
Learn about page setup options, fitting print jobs on a page, headers and footers, and other ways to customize print jobs.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Page Setup Options.xlsx
32.1 KB Page Setup Options - Completed.xlsx
Page setup options.
Setting page setup options, fit print jobs on a page, creating headers and footers, and otherwise customizing a print job to look as attractive as possible.
Where/when to use the technique
There is nothing more frustrating than spending a bunch of time setting up your worksheet to look great, and then find out it won’t print correctly. These techniques will help you deal with this issue.
Forcing a print job to fit on one page
- Check print preview first (notice that this job fits on 6 pages!)
- Go to the Page Layout tab and choose “1 Page” from the Width dropdown
- The job will now print to two pages only, as it has been scaled (1 page wide by x pages tall)
Setting headers and footers
- Go to Page Layout --> Print Titles
- On Rows to Repeat at Top click the ref-edit box and select rows 1:3
- Select the Header/Footer tab
- Click Custom Header and click in the right box
- Type “Printed “, click the calendar icon, type a space, click the clock icon, click OK
- Click Customer Footer and click in the right box
- Type “Page “, click the # icon, type “ of “, click the multi-page icon, click OK
- Click Print and review the Print Preview
- Notice that we have nice headers, footers and repeated rows at the top of each page
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.