Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
How to create a new Google Doc and introduction to ‘file, edit, view’ options.
Creating a new Doc, and basic controls
Google Docs is a simple online text editor. It has a collection of default templates that can be used to create a new document, and there are several options for changing the document layout.
When to use
When you want to create a new document, but you want an example format to follow instead of starting from scratch, and you want to change the way your document looks on the screen.
Creating a document with a template
- Create a new Doc
- Click the blue lines in the top left corner to open “Docs Home”
- Click “more” in the dark area at the top of the screen
- Scroll down to see all the templates and click on the template you want to use
- Share - Share the document
- New - Create a new file
- Open - Open a file from Google Drive
- Rename - Rename the file name
- Make a copy - Make a copy of the file
- Move to - Move the file to a different folder
- Move to trash - Remove the file from Drive
- See revision history - See all changes made to the document over time
- Language - Change the language used by the spell check
- Download as - Download the document as various file types
- Publish to the web - Make the document available to view publicly online
- Email collaborators - Email the people the document has been shared with
- Email as attachment - Send the document as an attachment to an email
- Document details - See where a document is located in Drive, who created the document, when, and when it was last edited
- Page setup - Change the orientation of the document, margins, paper size, and background colors
- Print - Print the document
NOTE: All options in “Page setup” change how the document is printed except for “Background color”. The background color doesn’t print.
- Undo - Undo the last action
- Redo - Undo an undo
- Cut - Cut text
- Copy - Copy text
- Paste - Paste text
- Paste without formatting - Paste text, but without it’s formatting (bold, size, font, etc.)
- Web clipboard - Copy multiple things in different formats and paste them in different apps on different computers
- Select all - Select everything in the document
- Select none - Stop selecting everything in the document
- Find and Replace - Find text and replace it with different text
- Print layout - Display page breaks
- Mode - Options for editing a document with other people
- Show ruler - Display the ruler at the top of the page
- Show equation toolbar - Display the toolbar that lets you write mathematical formulas
- Show spelling suggestions - Display red lines under misspelled words
- Compact controls - Display fewer options on the toolbar
- Full screen - Hide all toolbar controls
NOTE: Press “ESC” to turn off full screen
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.