About this lesson
The exercises below will open in a new tab. When signed in to your Google account, go to File --> Make a copy to get an editable copy of the file.
Pivot tables are a useful tool to organize and analyze data.
When to use
When you have a large amount of data and want to look for relationships between different parts of the data.
Create a pivot table
- Select the data you want to include
- Click “Data” - “Pivot table”
NOTE: Every column of data must have a header
Row and Column fields
- Add field - Choose data to add to a row or column
- Order - Sort the data in ascending or descending order
- Sort by - Sort the data by row, by column, or by the “Values” field
- Show totals - Display the totals for this row or column
- Add field - Choose data to fill the center of the table. Data will automatically be added to the appropriate cell for the current rows and columns
- Summarize by - Choose how the data will be summarized. Data can be counted, added, multiplied, averaged, and so on.
- Add field - Choose data to filter from the table
- Show - Choose which data to display in the table
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.