About this lesson
Introduction to basic functions Sum, Average, Count, Max, Min.
The exercises below will open in a new tab. When signed in to your Google account, go to File --> Make a copy to get an editable copy of the file.Functions and Formulas Solution
Link Functions and Formulas
Functions and formulas
Functions and formulas let you use mathematical calculations on your data.
When to use
When you need to calculate something using your data.
Adding a function
- Select the cell where you want the function
- Click “Functions” and choose the function you want to use
- SUM: Add together the numbers in the selected cells
- AVERAGE: Average of the numbers in the selected cells
- COUNT: How many cells have a number in them (does not count text)
- MAX: Shows the largest number in the selected cells
- MIN: Shows the smallest number in the selected cells
- Select the cells you want to include
Adding a formula
- Select the cell where you want the formula
- Type “=”
- Type the formula
- Click on cells to add them to the formula
Google spreadsheets function list
- Google provides a useful list of functions that are supported in Google Sheets.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.