Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
The most powerful way to influence someone as a leader is to understand them. Understand who they are and what in their lives already motivates them. Once you understand them it is easy to lead them and get them to a high performance level.
Once you understand your team, it is easier to lead them and get them to a high-performance level. Get to know your team’s culture, professional strengths and weaknesses, and be their friend.
When to use
To be an effective leader you should always work to understand the background of your team members.
The most powerful way to influence your team as a leader is to understand your team. You can start by understanding your teams background. There are three parts to their background.
- Cultural Background
- You want to be sensitive and attentive to an individual or a groups culture and their customs. If you have someone from a different country, you need to take into consideration their customs to help connect with them.
- Find out what makes them comfortable and what their model of the world is.
- Professional Background
- Find out what your team members are used to, what they like and what they dislike in the work environment and find out how they are most effective.
- Look at the individual’s strengths and find the jobs and projects that utilize their strengths.
- Look at the individual’s weaknesses to see if you can help them improve their weaknesses or to pull them out of certain projects.
- Personal Background
- Become friends with your team members.
- Stay clear on their outcomes and their duties, but show that you care.
- Studies show that productivity goes up by 15% or more when team members feel like they have managers that care about them.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.