Currency Data Type, Windows Region Settings
Currency is the most accurate numeric data type in Access, that VBA can also handle, which stores decimal places. When you need precision and have no more than 4 decimal places, choose the Currency data type. Currency can hold up to 15 digits before the decimal point, and 4 digits after the decimal point.
Currency is a fixed-point number that is displayed with the currency symbol specified in the Windows Region settings.
Currency can range from -922,337,203,685,477.5808 to 922,337,203,685,477.5807, which means that you are not always guaranteed 15 places before the decimal point. You ARE guaranteed to have 14.
The Format property can be used to not show a currency symbol for cases where you need the accuracy of this data type but what you are storing is not monetary.
Use the Format property to change the way data is displayed. If you are using the Currency data type for its accuracy but not storing financial information, a good choice for Format is Standard – and set the Decimal Places property too.
Windows Region Settings
The Windows Region Settings control how numbers and date/times are displayed. Here, you can also define the currency symbol that will be used.
To quickly get to the Control Panel, press Win-X
This displays the following menu in the lower left:
From here, you can click Control Panel (notice other useful options on this menu), which enables you to set many things:
then choose Region:
Change Format of a Currency Field
- To change the Format of a currency field, go to the Design View of a Table
- Choose a Format from the drop-down in the lower pane.
- Change the number of decimals using the Decimal Places property.
- Alternately, you may enter a custom format code such as #,###
Change Currency Symbol for Windows
To change the Currency symbol in Windows:.
- Press Windows-X to go to the Control Panel
- Choose Control Panel from the shortcut menu
- Choose Region.
- On the Formats tab, choose Additional settings ...
- Click on the Currency tab.
- The choices displayed in the dropdown for Currency symbol change based on what you have chosen for your Home location.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.