Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Learn how to store your emails in topical folders and use a search folder to gather a category of emails that may be in various folders.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Folders and Search Folders.docx
Folders and Search Folders
Folders are used to store emails by topic, and Search Folders will gather emails by a criterion you determine (but won’t move them out of their original folders.)
When to use
If your inbox is getting out of control, start storing your emails into topical folders. And if you use Flags and Categories, a Search Folder will gather a category of emails that may be in various folders.
Create a folder in your inbox
- Right-click the Inbox and choose New Folder, or click the Folder Ribbon and choose New Folder.
Control how your folders sort
- By default, folders will alphabetize A to Z.
- Click the Folder ribbon, and click-to-turn-off Show All Folders A to Z.
- Then click and drag the folders to place them in order as you prefer.
Create a Search Folder
- Search Folders gather up the Flagged emails so you won’t have to scan your Inbox for them.
- At the bottom of the Folder Pane (aka Navigation Pane) is an option called Search Folders.
- Right-click and choose New Search Folder.
- Then choose Mail Flagged for Follow Up or Categorized Mail.
- You will see the New folders on the Folder Pane.
- It is a good idea to move this folder to your Favorites at the top of the Folder Pane, this is so it doesn’t move further down and out of your view.
- Click and drag the folder into the Favorites at the top of the Folder Pane,
- or you can select the button Show in Favorites, located on the Folder ribbon (also on the Right Mouse list of a Folder.)
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.