Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Color-Coding calendar items is known as “prioritizing”. Use this feature to produce at-a-glance decisions about your daily grind.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s exercise file.Color Code Appointments.docx
Color Code Appointments
Applying Color to appointments is a good way to prioritize for at-a-glance recognition of topics.
When to use
By default, your calendar will look the same for every appointment. Applying color will eliminate the tedious visual review and give at-a-glance decision making about your day or week easier and faster.
- The first level of color code is the Show As settings.
- Right-click an appointment and choose a Show As option.
- Once applied, the left edge of the appointment will change its color or pattern.
- The 2nd level of color coding is manually applying category colors to individual appointments or meetings.
- Right-click an appoint and choose Categorize then choose a color or select All Categories for more color options.
- This method applies color to an individual appointment and will not repeat itself automatically.
- The All Categories section can be customized to Rename the colors with your own topics.
- The 3rd level of color coding is applying a Conditional Format to automatically color an appointment based on a word typed into the subject line.
- Right-click a blank area of the calendar and choose View Settings.
- OR Select the View ribbon and choose View Settings.
- Select “Conditional Formatting”
- Click Add and type the name of this rule.
- Select a color.
- Click Condition or this will not work!
- Enter the condition (words) that will trigger the color
Note: If using multiple trigger words, use a comma between them; without a comma it will treat it like a phrase.
- If the appointment did not change color, there may be a couple of reasons:
- Is the trigger word spelled correctly? Check your settings again.
- Did you already apply a Category color on the appointment? A manual category color will ALWAYS override the automatic color.
- To confirm, right-click the appoint and select Categorize, Clear All Categories.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.