About this lesson
Create a manual of products with corresponding pictures.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Creative Ideas - Catalog
A Catalog is a manual of products with corresponding pictures. It uses the same concept to create as the Mail Merge process.
When to use
Creating a catalog mimics a mail merge in that it uses a database of information that you create and can include pictures of products. The final layout is determined by your own particular preferences.
- Start with a Blank publication, then click Insert, Catalog Pages.
- On the Catalog Tools ribbon, click Add List.
- Then choose from the 3 options:
- For this exercise, start by selecting Type a New List.
- Enter the base information into the blank database template.
- Add or delete columns as needed by clicking the Customize Columns button at the bottom of the database screen.
- Because Catalogs generally include product photos, the Picture field is a common feature in the database, but there is no Browse button to click to the picture location.
- You will have to find the picture location in the Search section of your computer, then copy/paste the location into the database.
- Be sure to include the picture file type extension on this line or it won’t work.
i.e.: .JPG or .TIF or .PNG
- After you have entered the product data, you will Save the database.
- If you need to edit anything you will have to select the name of the Data Source, then click Edit.
- The entire ribbon will be active at this point and you can finish the catalog project:
- To merge product information into the Catalog pages, click the Text Field button and arrange the fields to your preference.
- This is a good time to also format the font of the Text Fields.
- Be careful not to delete the arrows on either side of the text field or it won’t find the corresponding database entry.
- To include a picture with the catalog items, click the Picture Field button and place the field to your preference.
Note: if pictures do not appear as expected, confirm the database contains the correct file location of each picture as well as the file type extension: .JPG or .TIF or .PNG
- To arrange the entire catalog, click the Layout gallery and choose a layout of your preference.
- When the fields are all in place, click the Merge to New button and review the catalog for any changes or edits, then Print the finished catalog.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.