Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Learn how to use Quick Response (QR) Codes, which are device-scanable images that will deliver information or send the user to a product webpage.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Creative Ideas - QR Codes in Catalogs.docx
58.4 KB Creative Ideas - QR Codes in Catalogs - Solution.pub
Creative Ideas - QR Codes in Catalogs
A Quick Response or “QR” Code is a device-scannable image that will send the user to a website and/or return information about the scanned product, like a marketing message.
When to use
Including a QR code image into a catalog is a creative idea to provide more information than possible on a print publication, for instance, sending the user to a website product page.
- Continue from the previous lesson on how to Create a Catalog.
It will be necessary to create the QR Codes and save them to your database location. This is a time consuming step, but a necessary one.
- Create the QR Codes by searching the internet for a “Free QR Code Generator”. At the time of writing this instruction page, the site www.QRstuff.com is used for the video lesson.
- Enter the website or text message for each product.
- Click Download QR Code for each product.
- Make sure you can find where the QR Codes saved on your computer system.
- Edit the catalog database and add a new field called QR Code and update the catalog layout.
- To edit the existing database in Publisher, you will click Catalog Tools, Format. Then click Edit List:
- Select the name of the Data Source, then click Edit.
- Add the field QR Code then enter the file locations of each QR Code that corresponds to the product on each line:
- The entire ribbon will be active at this point and you can finish the catalog project.
- To merge product information into the Catalog pages, click the Text Field button and arrange the fields to your preference.
- This is a good time to also format the font of the Text Fields.
- Be careful not to delete the arrows on either side of the text field or it won’t find the corresponding database entry.
- To include a QR Code image with the catalog items, click the Picture Field button and place the QR Code field into the layout to your preference.
Note: if images do not appear as expected, confirm the database contains the correct file location of each picture as well as the file type extension: .JPG or .TIF or .PNG
- To arrange the entire catalog, click the Layout gallery and choose a layout of your preference.
- When the fields are all in place, click the Merge to New button and review the catalog for any changes or edits, then print the finished catalog.
Login to download
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.