About this lesson
Merge Outlook Contact lists into emails so each recipient gets a personal email.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the Word document used in the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Mail Merge to Emails.docx
Mail Merge to Emails
Merge Outlook Contact lists into emails so each recipient gets a personal email rather than 50 people typed onto the cc: line.
When to use
When you want to reach multiple people with the same message, and personalizing the email is paramount to the perception of your email message.
Research shows that people are more likely to open an email that is addressed to them personally.
- Begin with a blank document or a prepared letter.
- Click Mailings.
- Start Mail Merge and click E-mail Messages:
In this exercise we will use the Mailings ribbon rather than the Mail Merge Wizard.
Step 1: Select Recipients asks you where your list is.
- Select Choose from Outlook Contacts.
- Word will access your Contacts folder (if Outlook is closed) and display the lists. Choose one and click OK.
Step 2: Edit Recipient List button lights up and when clicked notice the options to sort and filter, or select only certain records.
- Click OK.
Step 3: Insert Merge Field allow «Title»s you to place specific data fields within the text of the email.
It is VITAL that you do not erase or delete the chevron marks on the fields. They are field codes.
Step 4: Highlight Merge Fields will put a grey background (non-printing) behind the merge fields so you can easily see them within your email.
Step 5: Preview Results will show how the email appears with the data displayed. Click the arrows to view the next and previous emails.
Step 6: Finish & Merge, Send Email Messages.
- Enter a Subject line, make any final adjustments on this box, and click OK.
The emails will process and store themselves into Outlook’s outbox.
- If Outlook is open at the time, they will send immediately.
- If Outlook is not open, remember to open it to get the emails to send.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.