About this lesson
Learn how to enter text and save your first document.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Your First Document
Enter text for your first document and save to your computer.
When to use
The objective here is to type words into a document in order to prepare for formatting in the next lesson. Saving a document to your computer allows you to access your work when you need it.
- Type the current date and press enter when the tooltip appears.
- Press enter 3 more times to place the insertion point at the start of the Greeting line.
- Type a Greeting line
- Press enter 2 times
- Type the code: =rand(3,3) and press ENTER on the keyboard
- Press enter 1 more time at the bottom of the text.
- Type a Closing line, “Sincerely,”
- Press enter 3 times after the closing line
- Type a signature line
- Note: If a red line appears under a word, it represents a misspelling.
- Right click the word with the red underline
- Read the list and left click to choose the word offered that is the correct spelling
OR Add to Dictionary if it is a word you will use often, like your name, that is not in the dictionary.
To Save a document:
Click the Save or Save As button on the Quick Access bar
Click FILE SAVE
Choose the location on your computer that you would like to save the document, e.g. Desktop or Documents folder.
The first time you save a document you can choose Save or Save As.
The next time you save the same document, you can choose Save to save your changes under its current name, or Save As to rename it and save it as a different file.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.