Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
About this lesson
Learn how to format a basic letter layout.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Basic Letter Layout
Learn the base rules for letter layout.
When to use
Anytime you want to type a formal or semi-formal letter.
- Enter the Date at the top of the document
- Press “enter” four times to put a large space between the data and greeting line.
- Enter the greeting line
- Press “enter” two times before typing the letter.
- Enter text of the letter.
- Indent each paragraph by ½ inch (by pressing “Tab” on the keyboard)
- Press “enter” at the end of each paragraph, which places a space between the paragraphs.
- Enter the closing line
Press “enter” four times to put a large space between the closing and your signature line.
A faster way is to use the FILE, NEW feature in Word 2016
There are hundreds of pre-typed and formatted letters at your disposal.
- Click the File ribbon, choose “New” and then click the “Letters” link OR type "letters" in the search bar
- Wait just a moment and then sift through all the letters to find the one you would like to use.
- When you find and open the pre-formatted letter, just fill in the fields and adjust the text as you would like.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.