About this lesson
Add text or a logo and create a great wood texture effect.
Download the Photoshop file used in the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Wood Engraved Text Effect.psd
Topic: Wood Engraved Text
Add text or a logo to a wood texture.
When to use
Add text or a logo and create an great wood texture effect.
- Begin with a texture and open in Photoshop.
- Add text use a very thick font.
Add layer Styles to font
- Begin blending options and in advanced blending: set fill opacity to 0.
Bevel and Emboss: Blend mode: Overlay, Depth: 200, Direction: down, Size: 30, Angle: 120, Style: Emboss, Technique: Chisel Hard, Highlight Mode: Overlay, Shadow Mode: Multiply, Highlight Opacity: 25%%, Shadow Opacity: 50%, Altitude: 30, Contour Section: Cove Deep, Range: 100%, Texture Section: Metal Landscape pattern, scale:100%, Depth 5%
Inner Shadow: Blend mode: Multiply, Opacity: 75%, Size: 20, Angle: 120, Distance: 40
Outer Glow: Blend mode: Color Burn, Opacity: 15%, Size: 250, Spread: 20%.
Create a 2nd texture layer to alter the color
- Duplicate background layer by Command (mac) or Control (Windows) + ‘J’.
- Drag it to the top of the layers panel
- Hold Command (mac) or Control (Windows) and click on the type layer to use the text as a selection and press the ‘Add Layer Mask’ button.
- Add brightness and contrast adjustment layer: Brightness -75%, and contrast 100% clip the adjustment layer to the 2nd texture layer.
- Layer styles: Blending Options and in blend if section. With Option or Alt key held down drag the Underlying Layer left slider right to 120.
Add some edge burning
- Add a gradient fill adjustment layer.
- Select foreground to transparent gradient and set colors to black.
- Style: Radial, Angle 90°, Reverse On, Increase Scale.
- Bring up Layer styles. Blend mode Linier Burn, Opacity 75%.
- Blend If section. With Option or Alt key held down drag the Underlying Layer right slider right to 70.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.