About this lesson
Determining the Field Well options you’d like to use to view your PivotTable data.
Multiple versions of this lesson are available, choose the appropriate version for you:
Download the Excel workbook used in the video tutorial and try the lesson yourself.Field Well Options.xlsx
Field Well Options
PivotTable Field Well Options for set-up.
Where/when to use the technique
When setting up any PivotTable.
Hiding/showing the field list
- Click outside the PivotTable (field list goes away)
- Click inside the PivotTable (field list comes back)
- Click the x in the top right of the Field List to dismiss it
- To restore it, either
- Right-click the PivotTable > Show Field List
- Excel 2010: PivotTable Tools > Options > Field List
- Excel 2013+: PivotTable Tools > Analyze > Field List
Changing Field Well/List Views
- Click the icon next to the “Choose fields to add to report” line in the field well header
Fields Sections and Areas Section stacked
- Default option
- Fields listed on top
- PivotTable field areas listed in 2x2 grid underneath
Fields Sections and Areas Section side by side
- Fields listed on left side
- Areas sections listed in 1x4 grid on right side
Fields Sections only
- Only shows the fields list (not the areas section)
Areas Sections only (2 by 2)
- Only shows the areas section, stacked in a 2 by 2 grid
Areas Sections only (1 by 4)
- Only shows the 4 areas sections, stacked vertically
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.