About this lesson
Setting up your data sets to ensure that they will be able to be consumed by a Pivot Table.
Understanding best practices for PivotTable source data.
Where/when to use the technique
Setting up your data sets to ensure that they will be able to be consumed by a PivotTable.
Data must be contiguous
- Remove all blank rows
- Remove all blank columns
- Make sure there is a header row
Key points to remember
Data should be un-aggregated
- PivotTables do the aggregation for use
- Remove all subtotals
- Remove all grand totals
Data should be consistent
- Columns of numbers should contain only numbers
- Columns of dates should contain only dates
- Columns of text should contain only text
- Only exception is the header row, which should be text
Choose good table headers
- Data must have a header row
- Make the header row descriptive
- These headers will become the field names on your PivotTable
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.