Subscriber only lesson.
Sign up to this course to view this lesson.
Understanding Excel Formula Anatomy
Where/when to use the technique
Use to understand the anatomy of Excel formulas, and how to build them.
What is a Formula?
- Excel’s method to return data based on a question or equation you have provided.
Key points to remember
- Every formula starts with =
- Equations started with - will convert to =-
- Equations started with + will convert to =
- Formula inputs can be:
- Numbers or text
- Excel Functions
- Formulas can be used to:
- Add two numbers: =1+5
- Add values in ranges: =A1+B1
- Perform more complex operations
- Mathematical formulas are always evaluated based on the order of operations:
- Brackets (Parenthesis)
- Multiplication and Division
- Addition and Subtraction
- Mathematical Operators
- Brackets: ( )
- Exponents: ^
- Add: +
- Subtract: -
- Multiply: *
- Divide: /
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.