A basic demonstration of how to use the default / preset brushes in Illustrator.
When to use
The Preset Brushes and the Brush Tool in Illustrator can be a great way to add some texture or personality to an otherwise boring looking stroke or outline.
- Begin by opening the 'Preset Brushes - Exercise.ai' file.
- You will notice in the file that there are several plain black lines that have already been created.
- Open up the Brushes Panel from the right side of the Illustrator interface.
- Once the Brushes Panel is open, click on the hamburger menu in the top right corner of the panel.
- Choose 'Open Brush Library' from the dropdown menu that appears.
- Open some of the Decorative Brushes, Artistic Brushes, etc. to see some of the presets that are available.
- Select one of the strokes that have already been made, and then click on one of the preset brushes to view the changes.
- Try a few of them out to get a better sense of what is possible using some of these presets.
Hints & tips
- You can easily save and load preset brushes that you have created or downloaded into Adobe Illustrator.
- You have the ability to change the color of many of the preset brushes found in the preset library.
- After applying a preset brush you can still modify the shape or direction by tweaking the path with the Direct Selection Tool.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.