Premium video tutorials
Learn at your own pace
Mobile (learn on-the-go)
Unlimited tests and quizzes
Regularly updated content
Python is one of the world's most popular, fastest-growing programming languages. It's versatile enough to build apps for data analysis all the way to building robots with Raspberry Pi.
You don't need any previous experience writing code to take this Intro to Python course online. When you’re finished you will understand the fundamentals of the object-oriented Python language, and you’ll be able to write your own basic programs.
Why learn Python?
- It’s good for your resume. Python programming is a highly marketable skill, which is in demand across many different industries including data science, web development, and fintech - just to name a few.
- It’s simple. Python’s uncomplicated syntax makes it highly readable, and relatively easy to work with.
- It’s versatile. Since Python is a general-purpose language, it can be used in almost any way you can imagine - your creativity is the limit.
- It’s accessible. You don’t need to purchase any special tools or software to use it.
This Intro to Python training for beginners will teach you the fundamentals, so that you'll be ready to jump into the world of programming with confidence.
In this Python course online you will learn how to:
- Install Python on your operating system
- Understand data types including strings, numbers, lists, tuples, variables, and dictionaries
- Use assignment operators
- Convert data types
- Use comparison operators and conditional statements like if, else, and elif
- Use membership and identity operators
- Import and create your own modules
- Write loops and loop control statements like while and for loops
- Write functions
- Open, close, rename and delete files
- Create and initialize classes, and calling attributes
- Use class inheritance for classes to interact with each other
Once enrolled, our friendly support team and tutors are here to help with any course related inquiries.
Estimated study time
20h 30min for all materials
Intro and Setup
Install Sublime and Git Bash Terminal
We'll start off by installing the Sublime Text editor and the Git Bash Terminal.
We'll download and install Python.
Let's create our first program.
Comments and C9 Transition
Learn when and how to use comments in your code.
What is a variable and how can you name them?
Data TypesWe'll look at data types including numbers, strings, lists, tuples, and dictionaries.
StringsWhat is a string?
String ManipulationHow to manipulate strings.
How to do basic math in Python.
What's the difference between a floating point number and an integer?
Assignment OperatorsWhat are the different assignment operators and how are they used.
ListsWhat are lists and how do we use them?
Lists of ListsWe'll look at multidimensional lists, or - lists of lists.
What is a tuple and how is it different from a list?
What is a dictionary and how do we use them?
Data Type ConversionHow to convert one data type into another data type.
Comparison OperatorsHow to compare two things.
Conditionals If/Else/ElifUsing comparison operators to make decisions.
What are the logical operators AND/OR/NOT and how do we use them?
Python FormattingFormatting in Python is important! Let's look at lines and indentation, and single line If statements.
We'll look at the membership operators "In", and "Not In".
We'll look at the identity operators "Is", and "Is Not".
Learn to loop using a While loop.
Learn to loop using a For loop.
Loop Control StatementsTake control of your loops using "break", "continue", and "pass".
FizzBuzz!Let's build a FizzBuzz app!
Functions Part 1What are functions and how to use them.
Functions Part 2More about functions and how to use them.
Program FlowUnderstanding Program Flow in Python, and how functions can change that flow.
How to create and use random numbers.
Using third party modules in your code, and creating your own.
Getting User Input
Allow the user to interact with your program with raw_input and input.
Opening and Closing FilesHow to open and close a file with Python.
Reading and Writing FilesHow to read and write to a file with Python.
Renaming and Deleting FilesHow to rename and delete a file with Python.
Overview of Classes and Object Oriented Programming
What are classes and what are they used for.
Creating a Class Part 1
How to create a simple class.
Creating a Class Part 2More about creating simple classes.
Creating A Class Part 3
Finishing up our tutorial on classes.
Built-In Class Attributes
What are the built-in Python class attributes?
Using other classes inside of your class.