Nothing beats the time-saving awesomeness of the perfect Excel template.
Whether you’re managing a team of employees or a busy household, being able to simply plug in your data and go means your work gets done faster, your projects run smoother, and you’re the most organized person in the room.
But finding the right template can be time-consuming on its own.
Luckily, you can get started ASAP because we’ve compiled a list of 52 free Excel templates to help make your life easier today.
Our list has you covered with template picks spanning 7 categories:
- Project management
- Money management
- Planning ahead
- Buying a house
- Personal weight loss
- Business management
- Business planning
Skip ahead to the sections you're interested in or check each one out to see what you’re missing.
To kick things off, let’s start with 7 project management templates your team can’t afford to go without.
1. Project management
1. Create a timeline. Most of us are used to seeing timelines in history class, but they also work well for project management. Timelines give you a general overview of important milestones and key events that everyone on the team should be aware of.
This helps your team stay on the same page throughout the course of your project. If you don’t have time to create your own project timeline, don’t sweat it. Use this template to create one quickly.
2. Take your project timeline a step further by using this Gantt Chart free Excel template. This gives you a timeline with a bit more detail. You can mark and see at a glance the start and end times of your project, plus all those important milestones to reach until it’s complete.
Each milestone also has a summary of what needs to be done so there’s no question as to what everyone on your team should be working on and when those deliverables are due.
For the best results, create a general timeline to look at for quick answers, such as when something is due, and your Gantt Chart to see the details of the deliverables before they’re due.
3. Hold your team accountable. Once you have your general timeline created and your Gantt Chart laid out, you’ll need a way to keep your team in the loop with the status of certain deliverables. This to-do list template will help you do just that.
With this template, you can add the project tasks, a status update, the priority level, a due date, who’s in charge, and any relevant notes to ensure that everyone on the team knows what’s going on.
And if any issues come up, you can use this next template.
4. Document project problems. Unfortunately, all projects have their share of issues. It’s important to document these both for learning purposes in the future and figuring out how to solve the issue in the here and now.
This issue tracking template helps you keep a log of what went wrong, when it occurred, who handled the problem, and any relevant notes that may be helpful.
Remember, it’s better to identify the issues and document them now than it is to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again because you failed to identify a common thread.
5. On top of tracking issues, it’s a good idea to also record how long each step in a project is taking your team so you can price your services accordingly. This weekly timecard for projects will give you a better idea of that.
6. You can also use this project tracking template to gauge if your projects are running on time and within budget.
7. This project KPI tracking template will also help you measure the performance of your projects to ensure you’re hitting the mark every time. After all, you don’t want to learn that you missed your target at the end of a project when it’s too late to do anything about it.
In this next section, I’ll show you the best templates to help you manage your money.
2. Money management
8. Manage all your finances at a glance. This money management template keeps your finances organized by breaking down your spending into categories such as household, savings, and charitable donations.
9. Create a personal budget. On top of managing your spending, you should also track your spending in relation to your budget to see where you can cut down. This personal budget template will make that a breeze.
10. Use this template when you want to compare your income to your expenses. This helps you see if you’re living within your means or not. And if it turns out you aren’t, consider using the personal budget template to fix things.
11. What if you’re managing more than just your own finances? For those in charge of a household, a family budget planner template can help you see an overall view of what your family spends money on throughout the year.
12. Once you have an idea of where your money goes as a family, you can then start using a household budget template to keep things in control and under budget.
13. For students, there’s also this helpful college budget template that tracks where most of your funds are going. Then you’ll know what to expect and how to plan ahead each semester (for the most part).
14. The holidays can be a hard hit financially if you’re not careful. With lengthy wish-lists, it’s important to balance what everyone wants with what you can actually afford. This holiday spending budget helps you do that the easy way.
15. Dream of traveling to a remote beach far away? Use this travel budget template and you’ll be well on your way to making that dream a reality.
16. You can also teach your children how to track their allowance, savings, and spending with this helpful money management template for kids.
17. If your kids (or you) have a savings goal in mind, use this free Excel template. By tracking exactly how much you save each month, you’ll have a better chance of making progress towards your goal.
18. Weddings can also be a costly adventure for many. To ensure you don’t go over budget, check out this free wedding budget template.
19. And if wedding bells are not in your immediate plans and getting out from under a mound of debt is, this template has your name on it.
20. You can also use this portfolio management template to track and maximize how much you earn from your investments.
Up next, I’ll show you how a little planning ahead will make your life smooth sailing down the road.
3. Planning ahead
21. Deciding what to eat after a long day at work is never an easy task. To avoid this headache, meal plan ahead of time using this template, which helps you plan your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners before you even start your work week. It even has a convenient place for you to write down your grocery list.
22. If you’re planning to remodel your house, you’d be foolish not to use this free home remodel budget template. With this, you’ll have a much better idea of what this undertaking is truly going to cost you.
23. Parties can also increase your spending for the month. Let this party planning template make sure your party stays within your budget.
Purchasing a house is another important milestone that can quickly spiral out of your budget and control.
Fortunately, the templates in our next section will help alleviate some of the financial stress that comes with such a major purchase.
4. Buying a house
24. Your first step in the home buying process, even before you go house hunting, is to see how much home you can really afford. This home expense calculator will give you the truth.
25. Once you have that all figured out, you’re ready for the fun stuff: deciding what you’d like in a house. This home buying checklist gives you a list of features to choose from so you can narrow down the type of house you’re looking for.
26. But before you decide to put in an offer on the house of your dreams, use this mortgage calculator template to see if your mortgage payments are something you can even afford.
Templates can also be helpful when you’re trying to lose or maintain your current weight. I’ll show you two great ones to use for this next.
5. Personal weight loss
27. This free weight loss tracker helps you chart your weight loss journey so you can marvel at how much you’ve accomplished.
28. To add to that, grab a partner or spouse and track both of your weight loss journeys with this weight loss template. You can motivate each other to succeed.
Up next, let’s talk about the best Excel templates for managing your business.
6. Business management
29. When you need to create a simple invoice in order to receive payment from your customer, use this free template.
30. For service-based businesses, this invoice template has everything you need. You can explain what each charge is and describe the services performed neatly and easily.
31. If you’re collecting orders from customers, this sales invoice template has your name on it. With this, you’ll be able to track orders and clearly explain to customers exactly what they’re receiving with their purchase.
32. As your month progresses, you can track your sales orders from customers using this free template to make sure you’re hitting your targets each time.
33. If you’re shipping goods to customers, use this packing slip template to show your customers a breakdown of their order.
34. Anytime you need to send a customer a price quote, reach for this template and you’ll have a professional one to send over ASAP.
35. Once your customer decides to accept your price quote, you can then create a purchase order thanks to this template.
36. To send a simple sales receipt to your customers, use this free template.
37. If you’re renting your home or business to a tenant, use these rent receipts to keep things organized. Come tax time, you won’t have to worry about finding the rent paper trail they’ll be asking for.
38. Solopreneurs working from home will want to use this home office expense tracker to double check that you’re making the most out of your eligible tax deductions.
39. And if you happen to be in the computer repair business, use this free invoice template instead of the generic one so you can come across as professional and organized.
40. Keeping track of your employee time sheets should be a top priority for any manager. This free time card template does that in less time. Simply have your employees “clock in” each day using this sheet and at the end of the week, you’ll have everything you need to run payroll.
41. Once you have your employees’ daily log all set, you can then transfer that information to this weekly time card template to get a better view of their hours for the month.
42. This weekly timesheet also includes breaks in it so you can get a more accurate picture of how many hours your employees are working each week.
43. Before you run payroll, use this free payroll calculator to calculate your employee’s gross pay.
Now that you have templates for the technical aspects of operating your business, let’s go over a few to use if you’re just starting out or want to take your business to the next level.
7. Business planning
44. Every great business starts with two things: a good product and a solid business plan. While I can’t help you with the product itself, I can offer you this free Excel template which shows you everything you need to include in your business plan.
45. And if you’re stuck trying to figure out how to write your business plan, this template will be worth its weight in gold.
46. The next step to improving your business should be to build out your target market. This is the group of people who will benefit most from your services. To do this, use this target market comparison template as your guide.
47. It’s also crucial that you map out your customer’s journey so you have a better understanding of the specific touch points where your customer may need extra help. This customer journey map template is perfect for this.
48. Once you have your business plan in place, conducted market research, and mapped out your customer’s journey, you’re ready to nail down your 12-month marketing plan. This template will make the task much less intimidating.
49. On top of your marketing plan, you’ll need an editorial calendar that outlines the type of content and social posts you’ll share with your audience. Use this free template to plan out the next few months of content for your business.
50. Before you launch your business’ website, or if you already have an existing one live, you should use this on-page SEO template to ensure your website is properly set up for search engines. This simple step can help you drive more leads to your website.
51. As your business grows, it’s essential that your team grows with it. To ensure your team is taking steps in the right direction, use this SWOT analysis for your business every few months.
52. And when it comes time to celebrate your grand opening or a major milestone, be sure to take advantage of this event planning template so yours runs without a hiccup.
Don’t waste time creating your own templates, use these free Excel ones instead
You’re already busy enough, why add to your stress and overflowing to-do lists?
Instead of spending countless hours creating your own templates, use one of the free Excel templates on our list and you’ll make all the messy, overwhelming parts of your life that much easier.
Whether you’re starting a business or managing your personal finances, this list of 52 Excel templates has you covered.