About this lesson
There are 4 different personality types. This module explores what those are and the best way to lead each one.
Download this lesson’s related exercise files.Personality.docx
55.1 KB Personality - Solution.docx
Once you understand your team, it is easier to lead them and get them to a high-performance level. Look at the team member’s personality to understand how they work and use motivational factors for impact and affect.
When to use
To be an effective leader you should always know the personality of your team members.
The most powerful way to influence your team as a leader is to understand your team. As a leader, it is important to understand the personality types of your team so that you know how to best inspire, motivate and influence them.
There are 4 main personality types and each one will behave or respond differently.
- The Captain is decisive, bottom-line oriented, determined, assertive, extrovert
- How to lead the Captain: give them the bottom line, for example a bulleted list instead of pages of fine print. Match their energy by being assertive, powerful and direct.
- The Inspiration is inspiring, social, influential, extrovert
- How to lead the Inspiration: be social with them, and don’t put them in an isolated role, as they love people. Show them how they can be influential through their work, for example the impact completing their project will have on the company’s growth
The Status Quo
- The Status Quo are steady workers, do not like change, slow paced, pay attention to detail, introvert
- How to lead the Status Quo: give them a long term plan to offer stability, as they don’t like change. Try to keep something constant, even if they work in a changing environment.
- The Analyst is cautious, analyze everything, like rules and order, introvert.
- How to lead the Analyst: ask for spreadsheets and analysis, and give them a set of rules or directions to follow. If you notice they are quiet and introverted, make them feel comfortable by taking your volume down a notch.
Lesson notes are only available for subscribers.